9 Ways to Change Your Life at Any Age
1. Subtract the wrong things. – There will be a time when things just aren’t adding up in your life, and you need to start subtracting. Sometimes you must let go to grow. You cannot discover newness unless you build up enough courage to lose the old familiar. Be brave. Follow your values. Make the necessary changes. And remember, no venture is ever a waste of time. The ones that don’t work out teach you a lesson that prepares you for the ones that do.
2. Believe you CAN. – One of the biggest obstacles that stop people from achieving their dreams is the feeling that they aren’t good enough. You mustn’t be afraid between the space between your dreams and reality. You are good enough! Don’t let life or anyone discourage you. With enough determination and drive, anything is possible in time. Everyone who got to where they are had to begin from where they were, just like you.
4. Stand up for yourself. – You can’t force people to show you respect, but you can refuse to be disrespected. If you are the type that is always backing down to keep the peace, you will forever be armed with anger and self-loathing, and you’ll also be constantly fighting a war within. There’s a lot of bullying going on, online, in school, at the office and in some homes. We have young people killing themselves because of it. Say what you need to say, do what you need to do without harming anyone, and don’t let anyone bully you into a corner.
5. End hurtful relationships. – Just because you have a past with someone, doesn’t mean you should have a future with them. And just because you miss someone, doesn’t mean you need them back in your life. Sometimes missing someone is a healthy part of moving on.
6. Be thankful for what you have. – It’s not the happy people who are thankful; it is the thankful people who are happy. Even when you may be going through some tough times, think of all the beauty still all around you, and smile. Life is way too short to have a victim mentality. Tell yourself, “I am not going to be bitter; I am going to be better.”
7. Dedicate time each day to love yourself. – Its only when we sit alone quietly and look with honest eyes at our strengths and our weaknesses, our failures and our triumphs, our humanness and our moral strength and love ourselves in spite of, and because of all that we are, only then will we begin to truly understand the real meaning of unconditional love.
8. Keep learning and embracing life’s changes. – The seeds of your success are planted in your past failures. Your best stories will come from overcoming your greatest struggles. I recall last year at our yearly work event leadership offsite meeting, one of the speakers was the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officers of our Field Management, Business and International Insurance. Yes, he sounds pretty fancy and important doesn’t he? Yet, he was the most down to earth and humble individuals I have ever listened to speak. He told of his struggles as a youth. He was homeless and basically a real thug, but someone gave him a chance and he took that opportunity to learn all he could and he was able to change his life around, and so can you.
9. Enjoy where you are now. – Sometimes we are so busy watching out for what’s ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are. So busy stepping on each other to reach the top, trying to get there before the next man, all just to say or prove to ourselves we’ve made it. When instead we need to laugh at all the confusion, live consciously in the moment and enjoy our lives as it unfolds. You might not be exactly where you had intended to go, but you are exactly where you need to be.