5 Questions You Should Ask On a First Date
I take all of my relationships of all kinds very seriously. I believe they’re the foundation to a meaningful life. At times, we forget how some of our relationships are even started, whether they are the relationships we create with our friends or from going on a date. However, the first question we are asked before going on a date would always be…would you like to go out with me? Relationships are the foundation of a meaning life. I believe questions are powerful. They are the substance on life’s journey. They cause change, action, fear, excitement, and possibility. A first date is more than just two people meeting – it’s possibly the beginning of a completely different life. Therefore, I’ve learned that the questions we ask during this special time become even more important.
Here are 5 questions I believe everyone should ask on a first date:
- Who has been the biggest influence in your life? – This will allow you to understand what type of character your date finds significant. Is it a parent, a friend, an author, or even a religious figure? Their answer will help you understand how they define “influence” but more importantly, it will provide clues to the type of person they will likely become in the future.
- Who is your best friend? What do you like about him/her? – Yes, dig deep here. The word “best” implies one. Who is the one person they enjoy most? Do they make them laugh? Do they push them to chase their dreams? Whatever it is, this answer will give you a direct path to the heart of your date. Remember, long-term relationships are not built on looks, but friendship. So ultimately, you’re finding out what it takes to one day, become their best friend.
- What’s your biggest goal in life right now? – Finding out what drives your date will give you a look into your future if you choose to move forward. Are they career focused? Do they want to be married? Do they want to travel? Incredible compatibility can occur when two people share similar goals.
- What should I know about you that I’d never think to ask about? – You don’t know what you don’t know. This question could do two things: It could tell you something amazing about your date which might have taken months to uncover. Or, it could tell you exactly what you needed to hear to know that a second date would be a waste of time.
- Have you figured out your calling in life? What is it?– This question is aimed at the future. What are they most passionate about? Where will they spend most of their time? What’s most important to them? These answers will provide clarity to help you define the potential depth of your future relationship.
Do you know of any other great questions? Please list them in the comments.